Effective solutions to minimize water damage & prevent roof ice dams
Illinois is known for its cold and snowy winters. The combination of heavy snow and subfreezing temperatures create ideal conditions for ice dams to form.
The experts at D&M Home Improvements of Warrenville, Illinois can repair damage caused by ice dams, including roof and gutter damage. Contact us today to schedule a free estimate for water damage restoration in Warrenville and all of Chicagoland, Illinois caused by ice dams in your homes roofing system.
Causes of an Ice Dam in Warrenville, Illinois & ChicagolandIce dams form when there’s snow on your roof, but a few other things must happen before they can cause damage. They include the following:
- Melting Snow. Warm air from your home leaks into the attic through places like pull-down stairs, vent fans, and even recessed lights. The warm air rises to the upper sections of your roof where it starts to melt snow.
- Melt water freezes. You can’t see it, but a stream of water from the melted snow runs down the roof. When it gets to the eave, it often freezes. That’s because the eaves, which extend beyond the heated portion of your house, are typically colder than the rest of the roof. Eventually, a ridge of ice or an “ice dam” forms along the eaves.
- Water collects behind the dam. As the ridge of ice builds up, it traps a pool of water. Roofs are not made to hold water, just to shed it, so some of it can back up under the shingles and leak through the sheathing to the attic floor. From there, it can work its way through to the ceilings, walls, and even the floors below.
D&M Home Improvements Can Help Prevent Damage and Injuries Caused By Ice Dams
A gutter filled with ice and weighted by heavy icicles can cause:
- Injuries from falling icicles. Icicles can cause serious injury if they break loose and fall on a person. This sometimes happens when a homeowner attempts to knock them off the house.
- Damaged gutters. A gutter weighed down by ice can break free of the eave and become a twisted mess.
- Broken roof shingles. Freezing and thawing of water soaked shingles can cause them to break and fail. Attempts to remove ice may also damage shingles.
- Wet, damaged insulation. Insulation loses its ability to resist heat flow once it has become soaked with water due to an ice dam leak. As insulation becomes ineffective, the frequency of ice dams grows.
- Interior water damage. Ice dams can cause damage that ranges from stained walls and ceilings to ruined carpets, floors and furnishings. Left unattended, water-soaked materials can quickly begin to grow mold.
How to Recover From Roof Ice Dam Damage in Warrenville & all of ChicagolandEven if it’s too late to prevent damage from ice dams, it’s not too late to contact D&M Home Improvements of Warrenville, Illinois. Ice dam damage is often covered by homeowner’s insurance, and D&M can help you determine whether or not a claim makes sense in your circumstances. If you do decide to file a claim, we can help you deal with your insurance company and get your home back to pre-loss condition quickly. With the help of our Chicagoland insurance experts at D&M Home Improvements, we can:
- Communicate with your insurance company on your behalf.
- Provide your insurance company cost estimates and any documentation needed to file the insurance claim
- Recommend affordable and the best option available for your home
- Restore your home quickly